1. Netflow 5: (IPV4-specific,) NFV5 is the most commonly deployed version. The flows exported by the equipment provides 5-tuple keyed fields, Source IP/port, Destination IP/port and protocol, to describe the identities of the systems involved in the conversation and the amount of data transferred.
2. Flexible NetFlow FNF V9: (IPv4&6 compatible) Version v9 has brought FNF capability, which makes Netflow a highly versatile protocol. Its flexibility makes it particularly more relevant for complex reporting and heterogeneous data.
- Flexible key field aggregation
- variable number of data fields.
- unidirectional or bidirectional
- sampled or not
- multi-vendor (430 standardized fields, thousands vendor-specific fields)
- aggregated, synchronized or not for exports
3. IPFIX: (“IP Flow Information eXport”) also referred to as NFv10, IPFIX is the industry standardized version of Netflow. It builds on NFv9 for most of the features, and brings additional flexibility (variable-length fields, sub -application extracted fileds, options-data…)
Note: Netflow version 9 and IPFIX are the export protocols of choices for AVC, because they can accommodate flexible record format and multiple records required by Flexible Netflow infrastructure. IPFix is recommended.